Hiking is a great way to stay in shape, both physically and mentally. According to the experts, it can decrease anxiety and can reduce your risk of developing osteoporosis. It is an outdoor activity that offers a wide variety of benefits. It’s important to remember that there are some unpredictable variables that come with hiking. That is what makes it so much fun!
Below, we’ll offer you 10 tips hiking to make your trips successful.
- Start small: choose a trail that is slightly shorter than the distance you can walk on a paved/level surface. You should figure a pace of about 2 MPH.
- Learn more about the trail before heading out on a hike: get a map and review reports/data of the area. You can find plenty of information online. You may also want to find a spot to stop for lunch.
- Pay attention to the weather so you know what to wear and what to pack.
- Let someone know your whereabouts so they know when to worry and call for help or consider carrying an emergency device so you can summon emergency services if you need to.
- Be sure you have the 10 essentials in your pack:
- Navigation (map/compass)
- Sun protection (sunscreen & sunglasses)
- Extra clothes
- First aid kit
- Lighter/candle/waterproof matches
- Repair kit/tools
- Extra food
- Extra water
- Emergency shelter
- Wear appropriate footwear
- Dress properly
- Choose synthetics over cotton
- Wear layers you can shed/add as you get hot/cool
- Keep things light: while it’s true that the list of 10 essentials seems big, it’s important to choose the smallest, lightest version of each one. For example, choose a travel-size sunscreen instead of a full-size.
- Pace yourself: when you first hit the trail, you may be excited and want to push forward- but it’s best to find a pace that you can keep up the entire time. You don’t want to wear yourself out halfway through the trail.
- Leave nothing behind: keep hiking trails beautiful by taking your trash with you. Make sure you leave nothing behind to show that you were there.
Hiking is a great way to stay in shape. It is low-impact and can be fun and interesting. However, there are several things you need to keep in mind when it comes to planning a hiking trip. If you will keep these in mind, you’ll have a successful hiking trip each and every time you head out.